Husqvarna Norden Forum banner

Word of warning regarding oil plug reinstallation

1344 Views 14 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Revelc
My 901 is down and at the dealership indefinitely due to the unavailability of oil pan gaskets in the US, but presumably world wide. The reason I need that gasket is that both oil drain plugs seized to the pan, so the pan also has to be replaced. The back story is that I attempted to perform the second oil change but found both plugs seized. The dealership did the first oil change. I tried every method I know of - high quality 6-point socket, bolt biter sockets, chisel, both of the aforementioned with heat, and finally a reverse thread extractor. Since the dealership installed the plugs last, I then took it to them. They’ve been very good about the situation, and their techs are exceptional, but their techs can’t remove the plugs either. Having done quite a bit of research on this, it seems that upon occasion with this engine, be it 901 or 890, the plugs will seize if torqued down with the threads wet with oil. I don’t know anything for sure except that mine are seized and Husqvarna can’t provide a basic part - the oil pan gasket. Thought I’d throw this out there for those that do their own maintenance. Dry those threads and better loose than too tight.
Reactions: 5
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Been a mechanic for over 30 years and I've never heard of that before. More believeable is that the dealer technician over torqued the bolts (not using a torque wrench) or worse...some noob used thread locker on the drain bolts.
Reactions: 3
Been a mechanic for over 30 years and I've never heard of that before. More believeable is that the dealer technician over torqued the bolts (not using a torque wrench) or worse...some noob used thread locker on the drain bolts.
All possible. Like I mentioned, I’ve read about a few incidences of this with the 890 engine, and had a buddy tell me last night that he knew of an instance of this with an 890. What you’re saying makes the most sense though. But for there to be no oil pan gaskets available in the US just adds to the frustration. That oil only has 5500 miles on it. I was only changing because it’s what I do in the winter. This noob labored long and hard over using that reverse thread tap to remove the oil plugs. If I hadn’t done that, my dumb arse what have a far more comfy seat to sit upon this next weekend in the Big Bend. That dirt bike begins to hurt pretty quick.
Rocky mountain ATV has 6 in stock. If your dealership is new to the Norden/KTM like mine was, they probably don't know the KTM 890 is the same engine.
Light Product Rectangle Font Line
See less See more
Rocky mountain ATV has 6 in stock. If your dealership is new to the Norden/KTM like mine was, they probably don't know the KTM 890 is the same engine.
View attachment 1867
Damn! Really?? I was told there was a slight diff. I’m calling them now!
Damn! Really?? I was told there was a slight diff. I’m calling them now!
It'll be here tomorrow! Where are you KrillOill? I owe you a beer at a minimum! I can't thank you enough. I am leading a several hundred mile trip on and off-road in Big Bend weekend after this. I was going to be doing it on my BMW G650 XChallenge. That would have been a painful weekend. Thank you again!
Did you get your bike back?
Overnighted the gasket to myself, got it yesterday, and I’m in Starbucks in Irving, Tx while they do the install. Along with the gasket, new plugs, filter, and oil, I brought in some antiseize for good measure. Again, thank you!
Reactions: 1
What's the verdict on those bolts? Someone used thread locker or overtorqued?
No, no threadlocker. Torquing lubricated bolts results in overtorquing. Apparently this is a common problem with KTM. Several incidences of it over the last year with dealerships that are new to KTM, and not just the 890 engine.
KTM uses significant torques in certain bolts where less would suffice. I put on the quick detach panniers and the pannier bolts were spec'd to 25 nm. That's a lot of force for mild alloy bolts and they are pretty long so you would notice when it is coming undone. Many bikes use like 10-15 nm on oil drain plugs. It's a wait a second kind of a situation when you bring a torque wrench to such a small bolt.
Overnighted the gasket to myself, got it yesterday, and I’m in Starbucks in Irving, Tx while they do the install. Along with the gasket, new plugs, filter, and oil, I brought in some antiseize for good measure. Again, thank you!
Glad you got this all sorted.

How was your trip?

I live near Tyler and want to get a Norden for trips to Big Bend and Devils River.

My CRF300L Rally just doesn't feel like the right bike to cover those kind of highway miles...
Glad you got this all sorted.

How was your trip?

I live near Tyler and want to get a Norden for trips to Big Bend and Devils River.

My CRF300L Rally just doesn't feel like the right bike to cover those kind of highway miles...
Where are you? The whole CRF line is a great line of bikes, but yes I can understand about long distances on it. I have an ‘07 BMW G650 X Challenge that I initially thought I could make into a long distance bike in the spirit of Round the World Paul (RTW Paul is worth googling). Prior to the ‘Lil BMW I rode GSAs. Almost totaled my last one on the CDT. That’s when I attempted the RTW Paul philosophy - KTM 500, then Suzuki DR 650, then Ducati Desert Sled. Note how they got larger and heavier as I attempted to emulate Paul. So when KTM came out with the 890, it was welcome for guys of my stature - 71” and 180 pounds. I got the first 901 in Texas December ‘21. But I still tried to make a thumper (my X) into a long distance bike. Mid range though is my style. The 901 still isn’t as good off road - still too heavy. The X is exceptional off road. So I’m beginning to tow on these trips - both bikes go.
See less See more
Reactions: 1
Where are you? The whole CRF line is a great line of bikes, but yes I can understand about long distances on it. I have an ‘07 BMW G650 X Challenge that I initially thought I could make into a long distance bike in the spirit of Round the World Paul (RTW Paul is worth googling). Prior to the ‘Lil BMW I rode GSAs. Almost totaled my last one on the CDT. That’s when I attempted the RTW Paul philosophy - KTM 500, then Suzuki DR 650, then Ducati Desert Sled. Note how they got larger and heavier as I attempted to emulate Paul. So when KTM came out with the 890, it was welcome for guys of my stature - 71” and 180 pounds. I got the first 901 in Texas December ‘21. But I still tried to make a thumper (my X) into a long distance bike. Mid range though is my style. The 901 still isn’t as good off road - still too heavy. The X is exceptional off road. So I’m beginning to tow on these trips - both bikes go.
I'm near Tyler TX.

Sad to hear the 901 still feels heavy.

When I test rode an 890 Adventure R it felt much more manageable at low speeds than the tenere 700 I test rode right before I got on the KTM. Figured the Norden would be similar.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts