Husqvarna Norden Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
REAR SHOCK

I’ve been waiting through some unseasonably warm May weather, still with no bike to ride. My Norden is still waiting for a rear shock rebuild and this is the response from KTM:
“There are no recalls concerning the rear shock. There only has been a report made for a leaking rear shock on the Norden 901.”

anyone else have a rear shock warranty claim, or waiting on a repair?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Seems a North American issue from what I’ve read, have no idea why as surely it can’t be anything to do with how the bikes are shipped, must be a batch of shocks being bad. Worse thing is how Husky are dealing with it, some have been waiting months for a repair.

·
Registered
2022 Norden 901, 2010 BMW K1300GT, 1999 BMW Funduro 650
3 Posts
Well fellows, I thought I had the infamous shock leak, but it was a bunch of extra bolt lube on the bottom bolt that had heated up and ran down the swingarm.
Man I'm relieved!
Cheers
Brian
Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Gas Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
9 Posts
I’ve been waiting since Feb.15 for a shock or repair. Dealer has no idea when they will get it back. Pretty nice that the second wave of nordens is showing up at the dealers with updated shocks and being sold. Too bad husqy couldn’t be bothered to use those shocks on all the bikes that have been purchased and are sitting idle waiting for repairs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well fellows, I thought I had the infamous shock leak, but it was a bunch of extra bolt lube on the bottom bolt that had heated up and ran down the swingarm.
Man I'm relieved!
Cheers
Brian
View attachment 574
Oh! I have the same dribble coming form that bolt at the base of the shock and feared I have the slow leak version of this shock issue. Other than that the shock feels fine for now... How did you determine that it was just bolt lube? I would be really relieved to hear that I might not have to deal with this shock nightmare... Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bought my 901 late March. Shortly after, I noticed the rear shock topping out over even a small bump (clunk). Even though it rode ok, the rear had no dampening whatsoever, just the spring. I saw evidence of oil dripping from the seal. It's at the dealer with less than 600 miles on it. It took Husky a week to get him a response. They told him to send in for rebuild. Two weeks and I'm still waiting. It also had coolant leaking out of the hose-clamps the first week. When I investigated the problem, I found several loose bolts. I'm really disappointed in Husqvarna quality control.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It would be great if you could blame the shock manufacturer but KTM owns WP. I had the same leaking hose clamp on my 890 Adventure. Must be some issue on the assembly line that needs to be sorted. Only thing I will say if other than a few relatively minor details the 890 Adventure has been flawless for a year.

Today I ran out of gas on my new Norden with half a tank showing on the gauge because the right side petcock on the cross feed was left closed when the bike was delivered. It was only .8 miles to the nearest gas station and it is a light bike to push so things could have been much worse.

Good thing we're talking motorcycles and not airplanes. I'm not upset or worried because once sorted I know the bike will be great.

·
Registered
Norden 901 2022
19 Posts
Today after 2 weeks of leaving my Norden in the shop I called my local dealer.
He has informed me that they are claiming the spare parts (shock absorber) and they have stopped 8 Husqvarnas. That there is a lack of stock for all models.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's under warranty, shouldn't have to do that..
[/QUOTE
I agree but doesn’t seem like the warranty is getting folks new shocks. So instead of waiting weeks and months for a replacement and no bike to ride, just get it done by a Suspention guru. Regardless, slight Suspention upgrades should be done anyway based on a riders weight and riding style. This also solves the bad shock problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yamaha was the worst. If they did a production run of lets say 1000 bikes and you needed part X there would probably be none available until the next production run. You could wait 6-9 months for a part. A friend went all last summer without his FJR waiting for parts on the transmission recall. If you remember BMW had a similar problem with front shocks on the R1200RT a few years back. People were without bikes for so long that BMW offered to buy them back! Not saying this makes it any easier when it's YOU without a bike. Just saying it happens more often and to more manufacturers than you may realize.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Motorcycle manufacturers would be a lot quicker to fix things if the lemon laws for cars also applied to motorcycles. In Minnesota, motorcycles aren't covered by the lemon law. I suspect it's the same in most if not all states, probably most countries too.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yamaha was the worst. If they did a production run of lets say 1000 bikes and you needed part X there would probably be none available until the next production run. You could wait 6-9 months for a part. A friend went all last summer without his FJR waiting for parts on the transmission recall. If you remember BMW had a similar problem with front shocks on the R1200RT a few years back. People were without bikes for so long that BMW offered to buy them back! Not saying this makes it any easier when it's YOU without a bike. Just saying it happens more often and to more manufacturers than you may realize.
Don't remember that with either MFG but really surprised by both, 2 of the better out there.
Motorcycle manufacturers would be a lot quicker to fix things if the lemon laws for cars also applied to motorcycles. In Minnesota, motorcycles aren't covered by the lemon law. I suspect it's the same in most if not all states, probably most countries too.
Hmm, never knew this. Just figured a motor vehicle would include Bikes. Maybe we need tp petition Congress...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hmm, never knew this. Just figured a motor vehicle would include Bikes. Maybe we need tp petition Congress...
I just learned it yesterday. I was reading about the long wait times for parts and I thought it was weird nobody was trying to use the lemon law. So, I did a little research and discovered motorcycles aren't covered, at least in Minnesota.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts