Husqvarna Norden Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys use / carry for tire punctures and fixing flats? I feel like I should start carrying a kit around and not sure what direction to go. I've seen several options on plugs and for inflation it seems like folks either go with a pump or co2 cartridges.

I would prefer something that fits in one of the side tool storage spaces if anyone has ideas.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I carry a Dynapump and a tubeless puncture kit. That kit came with the mushroom plugs but this past weekend at the Touratech Rally someone I was riding with had a sidewall failure and it was repaired with "snakes", which were long thing pieces of rubber, so I'll be adding some of those too. I went for the pump over the CO2 because I think it's more reliable, if you mess up using the CO2 you might literally blow your shot. That being said, I have broken pumps from drops on my bike so now I make sure it's in a safe place. My pump fit inside one of the side storage covers (without the bag it came with) and the puncture kit fits on the other side. Stock tool kit is under my seat...

·
Registered
76 Posts
I use the rubber rope like strips. The best tire repair kit is from Harbor Freight because it includes a knife to trim with. I carry a mini compressor too. Mines from Aerostich very small and high quality but most brands will work. Make sure you buy one for inflating tires not beach balls or you'll cook the fuse. I also carry a mini leatherman tool to get the offending article out of the tire. I ride a lot of miles and seem to average 1 or 2 punctures a year.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, I'm thinking I may get both options for inflation, the co2 for flats / backup and the pump for airing back up after airing down (assuming it's small enough) Maybe that's redundant but I'll give it a go. For fixing flats I'll be stopping by harbor fright tomorrow for a repair kit. I also need to get my tool kit dialed. I am 100% ready on my DRz400 for almost anything but I need to rethink some aspects as far as tools go with this new bike. Hopefully I can be proactive and not get stranded somewhere!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I carry a Dynapump and a tubeless puncture kit. That kit came with the mushroom plugs but this past weekend at the Touratech Rally someone I was riding with had a sidewall failure and it was repaired with "snakes", which were long thing pieces of rubber, so I'll be adding some of those too. I went for the pump over the CO2 because I think it's more reliable, if you mess up using the CO2 you might literally blow your shot. That being said, I have broken pumps from drops on my bike so now I make sure it's in a safe place. My pump fit inside one of the side storage covers (without the bag it came with) and the puncture kit fits on the other side. Stock tool kit is under my seat...

How does one get invited to the Touratech rally? I stopped in to their shop last week and they were talking about it. I wish I would have known because it sounds like it was a really good time! So nice living so close to some of these cool ADV companies!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I've got this all figured out now, Thanks! For patching I picked up a basic plug / rope kit. I've already used it to patch an SUV tire that had a screw in it and it has not leaked since. For inflation I ended up with both a Co2 kit with about 4 extra cartridges as well as a mini air compressor. The patch / repair kit and Co2 fit in my extra side compartment and it goes everywhere with the bike. The air compressor is small and fits in my top box with some extra tools for when I'm camping. I'm in the woods a lot where there is no cell service and I don't want to use my Spot and wait 3 hours + for my wife / friends to come to my rescue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts