Husqvarna Norden Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am bottoming out both the fork and shocks way to much. Who has upgraded and what did you do, what products did you use? And are you happy with results, what did it achieve?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I also bottom out the rear and the front nosedives every time I touch the front brake, it's set up as firm as it will go but still not enough. I really wish the Norden had the same as the 890 Adventure R's WP XPLOR Shocks. I'd bet in a year or 2 they will have an upgraded 901-R that comes out with higher end components like the top of the line WP parts, Brembo breaks, high front fender, 1 piece seat, etc.

As far as a solution, I stopped into Touratech in Seattle a few weeks ago and they said they would have a new rear shock and fork cassettes ready around the end of this month. They are not cheap at all but look very impressive. You give them a bunch of info about your riding style, weight and your bike and they custom build them for you. I'm thinking next year I'll upgrade to that unless something else that's cooler comes out.

Touratech Extreme Rear Shock, KTM 890 & 790 Adventure / R

·
Registered
18 Posts
I went with Beamer Shop and splurged on the X-Treme shock. I can say the shock helped alot for me, but Im a big rider and carry alot of heavy luggage. I also bought the Yacugar springs for the forks, but I can't say the springs helped all that much but it did improve the fork dive when breaking. The springs are affordable but the installation requires a modified wrench because the nut on upper cartridge requires a thinner wrench than standard. I took an extra cresent wrench and grinded down to about 7mm thickness. It worked but not impressed with the Apex in general.

Kinda sucky if you ask me.

IF anyone is interested in my stock shock, I have one for sale.

TracTive X-TREME-PA Rear Shock / Norden 901 '22-On

·
Registered
164 Posts
WMR in Stuart Florida USA.. They are off-road and racing suspension experts. They will build you exactly what you want/need. I have an appointment for my bike next month. 1500 miles each way 3000 miles round trip and worth it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tractive has drop-in fork cartridges and rear shocks, Tourtech rebrands them but told me they wouldn't have any until early next year, quess the stickers are on backorder....

After talking to several people I am now working with Paul at Evo Oregon. The plan is to respring with custom springs and re-valve the forks and replace the shock with a take-off from a new 890 and tweak it a bit. The estimated cost is about two grand. Much better value to cost than other options, and Paul has been great answering all my questions and working with.

Hope to have this all complete in a month or so, will report back when complete.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd look at a take-off Explorer shock from an 890, that's what I am doing, but for $1800 the Tractive is not a bad deal but I'm not sure drop-in fork cartridges are worth $1600 when you could replace with Explorer forks for about $2 grand. Or respring and revalue for $600 or less?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'd look at a take-off Explorer shock from an 890, that's what I am doing, but for $1800 the Tractive is not a bad deal but I'm not sure drop-in fork cartridges are worth $1600 when you could replace with Explorer forks for about $2 grand. Or respring and revalue for $600 or less?
If you don't mind me asking, what is EVO charging for parts/labor to install a rear take-off shock?

·
Registered
Husky FE501
4 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, what is EVO charging for parts/labor to install a rear take-off shock?
The shock used was a take-off I got for far cheaper than buying a new WP OEM unit. I marked it up a little.

Custom spring was $180 for the rear
Custom front springs $175
Front Revalve: $240

I lowered the rear shock a little to maintain the stock geometry since he was using the Apex fronts. If you have questions, let me know.

--Paul
Evo Suspension
[email protected]

·
Registered
130 Posts
The shock used was a take-off I got for far cheaper than buying a new WP OEM unit. I marked it up a little.

Custom spring was $180 for the rear
Custom front springs $175
Front Revalve: $240

I lowered the rear shock a little to maintain the stock geometry since he was using the Apex fronts. If you have questions, let me know.

--Paul
Evo Suspension
[email protected]
Thanks for the reply Paul, I'm thinking late fall / early winter I'll be interested in having you work on my bike, I also told my buddy about you and I think we are both sold. I'm sick of the nose dives when stopping, the bottoming out in the rear and lack of adjustability as I'm basically fully maxed out on compression and preload with no major effect on any of the settings. I fully understand that this bike was not designed for a 6'4" 265lb person to ride but I would have assumed being an adventure bike that they would have allowed for the weight of camping gear and riding 2up.

We are both in FG and both ride 901's and starting a local riding group, I'll pass your info on to our members.

·
Registered
Husky FE501
4 Posts
Thanks for the reply Paul, I'm thinking late fall / early winter I'll be interested in having you work on my bike, I also told my buddy about you and I think we are both sold. I'm sick of the nose dives when stopping, the bottoming out in the rear and lack of adjustability as I'm basically fully maxed out on compression and preload with no major effect on any of the settings. I fully understand that this bike was not designed for a 6'4" 265lb person to ride but I would have assumed being an adventure bike that they would have allowed for the weight of camping gear and riding 2up.

We are both in FG and both ride 901's and starting a local riding group, I'll pass your info on to our members.
Sounds good. Sounds like we are darn near neighbors.. feel free to stop by and chat too.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Darkwhitechocolate - FYI, I weight about 200 and ride in full Klim Carlsbad gear and Alpine Tech7's (so probably another 10 lbs). After Paul did my suspension I loaded my Norden with large and small tools, a mini sledge, hachets, and all kinds of heavy camping gear for a test ride. I took the bike out to a nearby jeep trail and was jumping, no launching it off large dirt waterbars, at speeds that were starting to make me nervous. But each landing was soft and progressive. Not once did I clap out. I can tell you that the forks still had about 1 1/2" of travel left (that's where the O rings were down to) AND that was in SPORT settings. Had I gone to FULL PAYLOAD, it wouldn't have been close as that setting is many clicks less. And I was riding as no one would on a trip or with any sense and certainly not with a passenger.

I also just did the hardest part of the CO BDR, Dolores to Buena Vista, about 300 miles and over about 8 pretty steep rocky passes over 12,000 ft and was loaded with all my camping gear, X water, etc. and i didn't even come close to fork O rings as I left them there to see if real-world riding would be harder on the forks. Bike handled great in the super rocky scree and tracked very well, WAY BETTER than stock. I am more than thrilled with the results and now have superior confidence on the Norden. It was a complete transformation of the off-road capabilities and to a smaller degree on-road handling, tracking, stability, and manners of the Norden.

Not sure about how loaded you get (pun intended) but I might have been happy with just respring and revalving both forks and shock, but if you're running hard with two up and loaded with gear then a complete swap might be best. I was worried about the OEM shock failing and ride pretty hard on tough terrian so that's why I did what I did. Paul was very helpful and open about talking me through expenses and options. Keep us posted what you and your buddy do. Always interested to hear.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yeah I'm sold, I just can't afford to stop riding even for a couple days at this point, it's too much fun when it's nice out. I'm really wanting to spec it out for the WABDR / ORBDR with my camping gear and my solid frame for next year. I don't think it get's much better than a modified 901, it's really just the perfect balance and the only things I think should be added are the explorer pack, different tires, a 1 finger clutch lever, skid plate, luggage and upgrade the suspension and it's there.

It's too bad that buying a brand new bike with cash feels like just the down payment with all the other crap you have to buy to make it a true Adventure bike. This logic goes for any make/ model in my opinion.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah I'm sold, I just can't afford to stop riding even for a couple days at this point, it's too much fun when it's nice out. I'm really wanting to spec it out for the WABDR / ORBDR with my camping gear and my solid frame for next year. I don't think it get's much better than a modified 901, it's really just the perfect balance and the only things I think should be added are the explorer pack, different tires, a 1 finger clutch lever, skid plate, luggage and upgrade the suspension and it's there.

It's too bad that buying a brand new bike with cash feels like just the down payment with all the other crap you have to buy to make it a true Adventure bike. This logic goes for any make/ model in my opinion.
I hear ya, my other motos are being neglected as well, except the dirt bike (Husaberg 450). I do think the BDR's are a bit overblown and over hyped. It's mostly easier roads, for GS riders. A bit boring for my tastes but worth a ride especially in a pinch when you don't want to do route planning.

Husky will probably, if they are smart, come out with an "Explorer" model with upgraded suspension, Explorer pack standard, off road tires, and graphics. It would sell like hotcakes.

The Explorer pack is so worth it, well my dealer installed it for only $51??? The Rally throttle is Max throttle, yes! Slip control is at fingertip. Definately go for it. I did not install a skid plate as I think it's overkill, even on the terrian I ride.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I hear ya, my other motos are being neglected as well, except the dirt bike (Husaberg 450). I do think the BDR's are a bit overblown and over hyped. It's mostly easier roads, for GS riders. A bit boring for my tastes but worth a ride especially in a pinch when you don't want to do route planning.

Husky will probably, if they are smart, come out with an "Explorer" model with upgraded suspension, Explorer pack standard, off road tires, and graphics. It would sell like hotcakes.

The Explorer pack is so worth it, well my dealer installed it for only $51??? The Rally throttle is Max throttle, yes! Slip control is at fingertip. Definately go for it. I did not install a skid plate as I think it's overkill, even on the terrian I ride.
I agree, I seem them as more of an endurance challenge than a technical challenge. I'm not concerned with the difficulty of the BDR as much as the extra camping load on my bike and not bottoming out. (I am NOT a minimalist camper by any means) I think a guy could do a BDR easily on a stock GS, 890 Duke or Trail-90 with the right tires and no camp gear.

I do get a little adventurous some times and It's not out of the question to take my 901 on some easier single track now and then. She just weighs a lot and I get tired easier than on a dirt bike.

At first I was skeptical about the explore pack until I started exclusively riding in that mode with Rally throttle. Going back to On-Road feels like a much slower and unresponsive bike. It sounds like the new 890R has figured out that when you go into that mode it automatically kicks in Off-Road ABS, that would sure be nice but I often find myself leaving it in Off-Road ABS so I don't have to switch it up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts