Husqvarna Norden Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s been an interesting few weeks. I had a fork seal blow out on week 3 of owning the bike. It was no a dirt in the seal leak. It was all of the fluid blow out in one go while sitting in a parking lot.

Husky did replace this under warranty, although it took a month to get a seal.

The dealer then proceeded to totally shank one of the easiest jobs in the book. They left oil all over the forks, brake callipers, disks and front end. They also refused to change the brake pads stating that spraying them with brake clean is more than sufficient.

I ended up calling Husky Canada a couple days later to let them know the dealer left oil everywhere and I suspect the seals will collect dirt and start leaking again. It took about a week for a leak to start again.

In all this a conversation with Husky Canada came up and I was told the bike is not meant to be off-road and seals will continue to leak if I ride the bike off-road.

Husky did agree to change the seals under warranty again this time though. I didn’t want to go back to the same dealer but they won’t give me another option.

I called the dealer to book an appointment and got asked “Do your ride the bike off-road?”

I responded “It is an off-road bike!”

The dealer then told me they have seen a lot of these bikes and no one else is blowing seals and that I am at fault for it all for riding it off-road and doing wheelies. I can’t wheelie.

Anyways, any else had this experience? Being told it’s not an off-road bike? Husky sure markets it as an off-road bike with a recent photo of it going through a massive mud hole.

Let me know your thoughts on this.

Cheers

·
Registered
82 Posts
It’s been an interesting few weeks. I had a fork seal blow out on week 3 of owning the bike. It was no a dirt in the seal leak. It was all of the fluid blow out in one go while sitting in a parking lot.

The dealer then proceeded to totally shank one of the easiest jobs in the book. They left oil all over the forks, brake callipers, disks and front end. They also refused to change the brake pads stating that spraying them with brake clean is more than sufficient.

I ended up calling Husky Canada a couple days later to let them know the dealer left oil everywhere and I suspect the seals will collect dirt and start leaking again. It took about a week for a leak to start again.

In all this a conversation with Husky Canada came up and I was told the bike is not meant to be off-road and seals will continue to leak if I ride the bike off-road.

Husky did agree to change the seals under warranty again this time though. I didn’t want to go back to the same dealer but they won’t give me another option.

I called the dealer to book an appointment and got asked “Do your ride the bike off-road?”

The dealer then told me they have seen a lot of these bikes and no one else is blowing seals and that I am at fault for it all for riding it off-road and doing wheelies. I can’t wheelie.

Anyways, any else had this experience? Being told it’s not an off-road bike? Husky sure markets it as an off-road bike with a recent photo of it going through a massive mud hole.

Cheers
That sounds crazy. It is totally marketed as an off-road bike.

It sounds unfortunate for you, maybe you just got a dud, and then dud service from your dealer. I've had the bike off road plenty and no issues (fingers crossed).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sounds crazy. It is totally marketed as an off-road bike. It sounds unfortunate for you, maybe you just got a dud, and then dud service from your dealer. I've had the bike off road plenty and no issues (fingers crossed).
Yeah. I’m not really impressed by either. Especially the dealer. That being said, why does the bike have an off-road mode if it’s not meant to be ridden off-road? Haha

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yes your bike is intended for off road. Yes you have a sub standard dealer. Amazed that he's "seen lots of these" as there aren't that many in North America and even the 2 big dealers I know only had an allocation of 2 or 3 bikes each for the year.
Like anything else a bike is a manufactured product and subject to flaws. My guess is there is an issue with either the fork tube or the slider that is causing the seals on your bike to fail. If there is a way to get these inspected it may save you from going rounding round with the fork seal issue. Sounds like the dealer isn't too interested in doing the job right so good luck asking him to do a thorough inspection. All it would take is a burr from machining or a scratch to cause repeated problems. Worse case is they may have to pop a new set of forks in your bike. I don't know what the laws are in Canada but in the US there is a lemon law that protects consumers from repeat and unresolved problems with vehicles purchased new. I think 3 times with same problem you are eligible.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with the sub standard. Not my choice dealer. Just the closest at 3 hours away. My next option is 7 hours.

I felt like the “seen lots of these” was a straight up lie. To be honest the only. Norden I have seen in Eastern Canada is my own. And whenever I see another rider out here in Nova Scotia they tell me it’s the first Norden they have seen.

I was actually wondering about the tube damage. The bike actually feel in the shipping crate and had damage to it, like the plastics and such. Maybe the tube was also damaged.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Very possible. Based on that if the problem persists I would ask, make that insist on a new set of forks. KTM is actually very good about standing behind their products. You may need to take the time to work your way up the chain but I'm sure in the end it will get sorted. Shame the dealer isn't worth squat.
Keep a record of every communication with the dealer and with anyone at Husqvarna or KTM. Get the name of the person you talked to, date, and what was said.

·
Registered
13 Posts
This bike is designed as an adventure touring bike. Tarseal roads and gravel roads.

It is not equivalent to the ktm 890 adventure R.

I'm not sure why people think that the bike is a capable dirt bike, it isn't.

·
Registered
KTM640 Adventure. Norden 901. RE Bullet 1963
53 Posts
This bike is designed as an adventure touring bike. Tarseal roads and gravel roads.

Of course it’s capable for dirt…though its not what you would classify as a traditional “dirt bike” and never marketed that way, but it is certainly a bike capable of tackling the rough stuff (im not talking extreme stuff here) but sure it will tackle tracks and trails. So many comments coming from North America on issues that I’m sure stem from shoddy dealers that haven’t delivered bikes properly (i.e. pre-delivery).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I wouldn’t say I ride it like a dirt bike. I do ride dirt road and dual tracks tho. I’m not jumping it at an MX track.

Tire Wheel Water Sky Plant

·
Registered
37 Posts

Cheers
What is happening to me is I'm getting pressure build up in the forks so much so that it just pushes it past the seal. It does it all the time. Really disappointed these forks do not have a bleeder screw on top. I'm not going to worry about it since I ride almost exclusively gravel/jeep roads and this suspension is not good enough
for that. This winter I'm installing the Xplor Pro set up.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What is happening to me is I'm getting pressure build up in the forks so much so that it just pushes it past the seal. It does it all the time. Really disappointed these forks do not have a bleeder screw on top. I'm not going to worry about it since I ride almost exclusively gravel/jeep roads and this suspension is not good enough for that. This winter I'm installing the Xplor Pro set up.
Is that pressure causing the oil to blow out of the seals?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts