Husqvarna Norden Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
WMR. They are a KTM Husqvarna dealer in Stuart FL that has a full on race and suspension shop. They lowered my 1290 Super Adventure for me and it came out awesome. Not sure where your located? I rode my bike down from WI to have the work done.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am also looking for options to lower the Norden a bit if possible. The factory low seat option is $600 and only lowers it .08 inches. Seat Concepts offers a lower seat which lowers the height 7/8" for $265
Add in shipping and us short guys will get LESS THAN 2" lower for almost a $1000. Too late for me to grow into the bike, I'm old and growing laterally these days

·
Registered
86 Posts
I am also looking for options to lower the Norden a bit if possible. The factory low seat option is $600 and only lowers it .08 inches. Seat Concepts offers a lower seat which lowers the height 7/8" for $265
Add in shipping and us short guys will get LESS THAN 2" lower for almost a $1000. Too late for me to grow into the bike, I'm old and growing laterally these days
Ergo seat is 10mm (0.4”) lower.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm in the same predicament. Factory lowering kit reportedly is just a KTM 790 shock which doesn't have any adjustability. The stock Norden shock has rebound damping and preload adjustability, so not really an option for me to go to a shock without any. After looking at the limited options of seats, I contemplated swapping out the 21/18" wheel combination out to something smaller such as a 19/18" or maybe even a 17/17" combination. The plans I have for my Norden don't require a 21" front. Has anyone tried this? Any noticeable seat height reduction? I bought a 525EXC on 17's and the stock length kickstand keeps the bike pretty much ready to tip over if the breeze blows from the wrong direction, so it must change the seat height somewhat... thoughts? comments?

·
Registered
115 Posts
There's a lot of good stuff about converting a 790 or 890 to 19/17 out there. A few really good articles that Dirk at Motorcycle Daily did about converting his own bike. Norden is the same bike so results would be similar. I already bought a set of 19/17 Super Adventure wheels in case the bug bites me but they're still in the box. I like the Norden in stock form so far, handles great. Its a great bike right out of the box.
Pretty easy to cut and weld a side stand. Buy a spare to shorten and then you'll have one for any wheel combination.
I'm telling you WMR makes lowering a bike painless and they are perfectionists. Worth the ride if you're in North America.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm in the same predicament. Factory lowering kit reportedly is just a KTM 790 shock which doesn't have any adjustability. The stock Norden shock has rebound damping and preload adjustability, so not really an option for me to go to a shock without any. After looking at the limited options of seats, I contemplated swapping out the 21/18" wheel combination out to something smaller such as a 19/18" or maybe even a 17/17" combination. The plans I have for my Norden don't require a 21" front. Has anyone tried this? Any noticeable seat height reduction? I bought a 525EXC on 17's and the stock length kickstand keeps the bike pretty much ready to tip over if the breeze blows from the wrong direction, so it must change the seat height somewhat... thoughts? comments?
I installed the lowering kit from Husqvarna. The rear shock is the same as the KTM 790 adv, you are right but you can adjust the preload. During June I made two trips both of 2,500 km, both during one week alone but with a lot of luggage. I also drove 900 km in one day on the highway. The bike is comfortable enough in this configuration for long trips. My previous bike was a GS1200 Adv 2008 and I felt better on the Husqvarna after one day riding. I only have to complain about the windshield when the speed is over 100 km/h.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Does anyone know if there is a way to lower the seat by changing the suspension? Do they make a lowering kit?
Local suspension shop installs shorter springs front & rear and internal spacers to lower KTM bikes. If you look at the KTM 890 Adventure R kit that is how it I’d done.
It should be possible to use shorter Adventure spring and if suspension shop is decent they will make the spacer and do all the work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I installed the lowering kit from Husqvarna. The rear shock is the same as the KTM 790 adv, you are right but you can adjust the preload. During June I made two trips both of 2,500 km, both during one week alone but with a lot of luggage. I also drove 900 km in one day on the highway. The bike is comfortable enough in this configuration for long trips. My previous bike was a GS1200 Adv 2008 and I felt better on the Husqvarna after one day riding. I only have to complain about the windshield when the speed is over 100 km/h.
Thank you for replying with the correct info on the rear shock. The preload would be the biggest concern. I may look at the factory lowering kit again. How far would you estimate that it lowered the seat height?

·
Registered
4 Posts
There's a lot of good stuff about converting a 790 or 890 to 19/17 out there. A few really good articles that Dirk at Motorcycle Daily did about converting his own bike. Norden is the same bike so results would be similar. I already bought a set of 19/17 Super Adventure wheels in case the bug bites me but they're still in the box. I like the Norden in stock form so far, handles great. Its a great bike right out of the box.
Pretty easy to cut and weld a side stand. Buy a spare to shorten and then you'll have one for any wheel combination.
I'm telling you WMR makes lowering a bike painless and they are perfectionists. Worth the ride if you're in North America.
Thanks for the replies on the wheel conversion and lowering option. Unfortunately, a trip from Colorado to Florida isn't in the cards. I also have Slavens Racing a hour and a half away. Not sure how far they've dug into a Norden yet. If you don't mind me asking... what was the cost of the WMR conversion?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thank you for replying with the correct info on the rear shock. The preload would be the biggest concern. I may look at the factory lowering kit again. How far would you estimate that it lowered the seat height?
About 20 mm. I am 174 cm, leg 80 cm. My feet are not completely flat on the ground with the lowering kit. But it is not a problem, I feel now confident.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Talked to WMR today. Asked them about lowering the Norden 1" maybe 1.25" (25-30mm). They just did one last week modifying the stock shock. I'm riding down there in August to have them do mine. Pretty excited.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I hope this little info can help someone who need to gain just a few mm to rest the leg: the saddle rests on four steel pins covered by a plastic cap. Thy are removable and allows you to gain 8 mm instantly. The only thing is that the saddle will have a slight play in the horizontal direction, personally I did not find it particularly annoying but I preferred then to put back only the two front pins to counteract the sliding forward.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Just rode back from FL after WMR lowered my bike 25mm/1". It"s great just what the Dr ordered. Rode the Blue Ridge Parkway and across WV on the way back and bike handled super!
25mm/1" was good I can get my feet on the ground but I don't think 2" would have been too much either.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts