Husqvarna Norden Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HIghway Dirt Bikes (HDB) handguards are now avail for the 901. I've already bought and installed the H&B handguards on my Norden. But my 901 proved too heavy to do what I like to do off-road, so I now have a new-to-me '07 BMW G650 Xchallenge (pronounced Cross-Challenge, not X challenge). I'm out fitting it as my off-road bike. I stumbled upon HDB's handguards by accident. I hear tale they can't be beat, and the mirrors work exceptionally well. I've ordered a set.

Heres their website -

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know this is gonna be heresy, but I tried for 20 years to make GSAs and one GS truly off-road ready. And I have really ‘dressed a few up”, but after getting significant advanced training, then trying to take a 2020 GSA down the CDT, and the ‘red routes’ along the CDT, I gave up. But being hard-headed and a glutton for punishment, I got my 901 and thought Wow! 120 lbs lighter and with a much lower center of gravity! I’m gonna try off-road with this one. Took three multi-day mostly off-road trips. Went down 7 or 8 times over the three trips - I ride hard, and even though I don’t have great talent, I’m pretty good, well-trained, near 6’, 180 pounds and in great shape. But after the last ride I decided enough was enough and went out and bought a lighter bike. In addition to my 901, I now have an ‘07 BMW G650 Xchallenge as mentioned in an above post. My point is that even though more capable than a GSA, the 901 really oughta see nothing more than a well maintained dirt road unless you’re very talented and experienced. I’ve got all the gear on my 901 now, and I’m not taking it off, but it’s now gonna fill my on-road slot where it likely won’t ever go down again. It’s a road bike with a minor off road capability. So If you’ve already bought any of the aftermarket hand guards out there, like I have, they’re more than good enough.

·
Registered
KTM640 Adventure. Norden 901. RE Bullet 1963
38 Posts
Geez, now you’ve opened a can of worms. I would disagree that the Norden is only suited to well maintained dirt roads. Heresy indeed sir 😜! I would suggest that because you ride hard, you need a hard riding bike? You mention talent also…maybe slowing a little might mean less offs? Anyway, what do I know? What I do know is my Norden will handle the rough stuff, but going bull at a gate, may not suit its suspension. I find so much easier to ride than my 40kg lighter KTM (640 ADV), with all its weight up top makes it easier to tip over. The Norden rider aids also adding to the capabilities and I find it much more flickable on dirt. It confidence inspiring for sure and I am by no means a good rider, I just take my time and smell the roses when riding. Checkout the U-toob review the guys at MADTV did on the Norden, they really put these things to the test difficult off-road terrain, single track etc, and come away with praise. Bummer, I just bought Barkbusters a few days back. These HDB do look the goods though. Have fun on the Beemer.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:) Ha! I knew saying that would raise a bit of ire! And you’re right especially with that “bull at a gate” piece. I’m gonna have to borrow that one. That’s good. And likely sums up what I do upon occasion! The 901 is indeed comfy, and better in most categories than my prior GSAs. Only bike I’ve ever had with a stock seat upon which I can run a tank dry and not have discomfort. I love my bike, but my new-to-me Xchallenge, which isn’t really a dirt bike, sure has so far proven more manageable off road, ESPECIALLY when banging gates! But that’s to be expected. I had it’s older brother, the HP2 up until a year ago. And to me, I prefer it to the HP2. Anyway, not selling Xchallenges here ( there’s not enough left out there to do that), but just an old warrior raising rabble! Ha! Thanks for the reply. Go for a ride this morning! Me and my 901 are!

·
Registered
KTM640 Adventure. Norden 901. RE Bullet 1963
38 Posts
Good on you Jack, going for a ride no matter the bike is what is all about. I’ve been riding mine whenever I get the opportunity

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Vehicle

Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Plant Wheel

Fuel tank Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Vehicle Plant

Added these HDB handguards last night to the X-Challenge. I have to say that they’re quiet likely the toughest pieces of motorcycle kit I’ve ever seen. Seem bomb proof. They’d be on the 901, but already have Hepco and Beckers. And those mirrors are a real slick design.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts