Husqvarna Norden Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Husqvarna Norden 901
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, all!

Figured I should make an introductory post after being called out by the mods in the Official Welcome Thread :LOL:

Anyway, I'm an overweight wrong-side-of-forty software developer living in Michigan's Keweenaw Peninsula after moving here from Florida 3 years ago (In January, because why not?).

I've been lurking around here for a while, reading up on Nordens and doing research. Sadly, no Nordens were available in my area (The local dealer said he couldn't get one until next year). So I started looking further afield, but the only ones I could find were on the coasts, which was just too far.

Until last week.

A Norden popped up on Cycle Trader 6 hours away in Johnson Creek, Wisconsin. After a quick phone call and some back-and-forth emails, it was mine. Today I got up at 4am to make the trip to pick her up and, after 14 hours, she's home and in the garage!
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Plant Vehicle

I'm pretty ecstatic right now. Sitting on the bike feels great, the posture and such all seem perfect for me. The only thing that makes me a little uneasy is that I can't flat foot it. It only makes me uneasy because this is the first time that's happened! I'm 6'2! Every other bike I've ridden I look like one of those circus bears riding on a bicycle. :ROFLMAO:

I'm sure once I'm used to it, it won't be a problem.

Tomorrow modding starts. I've already got a set of Double Take mirrors for it, as well as a Tusk tank bag and kickstand foot. I'm also going to look into putting a SAE connector somewhere on the dash, but I'm not sure where yet.

Reactions: A13X

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Ah, there's where it went. I was wondering what happened to this message, I guess it needed moderator approval?

Anyway, I decided on Sunday, "Screw it, I'm going for a ride", regardless of not having a license plate. I did, however, have insurance and Michigan technically allows a three day grace period, so...

Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Blue

Lunch at Eagle Harbor Inn

Plant Tire Plant community Wheel Automotive tire

Cut across to the ghost town and mine of Delaware on a seasonal dirt road, took one of the old logging roads off into the woods and found some Thimbleberries to snack on.

Plant Sky People in nature Natural landscape Tree

These trails didn't go very far, but I was able to loop back to the road shortly after this.

Tire Wheel Plant Automotive tire Tree

Once I reached Delaware, I rejoined US41 heading north until the ghost town of Mandan. There I turned and took the Mandan road back into the woods, where it turns into an ATV/Snowmobile/4x4 trail. I followed this north until I reached a sign stating, "Trail 134, Copper Harbor", which I followed. I very quickly regretted that, trail 134 was quite rough and had a surface that was mostly sharp rock. It was 6 miles of road that I was not ready for. Thankfully, the Norden was! I didn't stop and take any pictures on that section as I was hot, sweaty, and thirsty by then.

Tire Wheel Plant Cloud Fuel tank

Trail 134 meets up with Clark Mine road south of Copper Harbor, which is paved from that point into town. I took a quick stop at Manganese Falls before heading down into town.

Tire Wheel Cloud Sky Plant

Time for a drink and a bit of a sit in the A/C!

Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Automotive tire

Since I was there, I swung by the starting point of US41, which runs from here to Miami. I had originally planned to take the road that continues from here on out to the old Rocket Range, but clouds were building on the Horizon and it was time to start thinking of heading home.

Tire Wheel Plant Automotive tire Motorcycle

Took the turn off from US41 to Lac La Belle, where I stopped at Haven Falls for a photo. From here I continued down the Lac La Belle - Gay Rd into the town of Gay, passing the famous Gay Bar, and onward to home. The ride on this section was 'Rough Road', but the Norden handled it amazingly. With the breeze off Lake Superior, the temperature dropped from 87 to 72, which felt amazing.

Since then I've been commuting on the bike every day. It now has a real license plate (with state forest pass), and I've got a Garmin Zumo XT on the way. One of my big concerns when out on those trails and logging roads was the fact that I had no maps for them. Hopefully the Zumo will at least cover some of them. I'm also thinking of picking up an inReach Mini 2, I had been hesitant since I was originally thinking I'd only use it for motorcycling, but then I realized I could use it when hiking, snowshoeing, and snowmobiling in the winter.

As for the Norden itself? I'm absolutely stoked with it. It handles, on road, much better than you would ever expect from something with a 21" front tire and 8.5" of ground clearance. Heck, I think it handles better than my 919 in the twisties. It surely isn't lacking for power, either. Off road it feels very planted and stable, if anything the bike seems to goad you into pushing just that little bit harder because it seems like it's got your back. I'm not longer concerned with the fact I can't flat foot it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dang it.

Wind blew the Norden over today. I knew I should have parked it backwards. Anyway, light damage. The plastics are fine, the handguard was all twisted but is only scratched slightly. The worst damage is the gas tank skid, it's scuffed and cracked slightly on one edge.

Guess that's a point towards one of those skidplates that replaces that bit as well. Probably going to leave it as is until spring, though, in the hopes of better parts availability.

Reactions: A13X

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I goofed, and we went down. She's got her first battle scars that aren't from wind, now. That poor skid plate is doing work.

Other than some scuffs on the muffler, hand guard, and tip of the turn signal? No damage! Which surprised me, it was a pretty rocky area to go down in. The 'scrapes' on the body work were just dust and all washed off once I got home.

Bike isn't too hard to get stood up once you get her up a bit, which is good, because I'm sure this'll happen again.

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

1 - 4 of 4 Posts