Husqvarna Norden Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never owned or ridden an ADV bike. I was resolved I was going to get the Norden 901 but have determined it is too much bike for me in all aspects. Eagerly waiting for the Norden 501 but there has been little to no news about it lately. I understand the the India factory conundrum and the 501 is probably still under development. Any tidbit of news would be encouraging though.

I currently ride a ‘19 Svartpilen 401 modified to be more “Scrambler-esque”. Unfortunately the suspension is stock and almost useless on even mild trails.

Also considering the Tenere 700 and Tuareg 660. The T700 is unobtanium where I’m at and Tuareg 660 is not yet in the US. I would like to wait to compare all three but I’m getting antsy. I’ve decided against the KTM 390 ADV. I want more engine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Welcome to the forum,
Sounds like you have worked out which bike would be best for you. Making decisions from a place of being aware of your limits, makes good sense to me.
I have not ridden an adventure bike before either, some enduro bikes & some road bike cruisers.
I will do a course or two, so I can develop my skills & spend time getting to know the 901 before I wander longer distances in the bush and road.

Whatever bike you end up with, enjoy yourself!
Marko 👍

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just joined the forum. This is my first post. Have a 901 reserved and can hardly wait to get it as I took a hiatus from adventuring for several years (mostly because there wasn't anything as exciting as the 901 on the road). I personally wouldn't be too nervous about getting a bigger ADV as long as you have off-road experience. I never rode an ADV bike before I picked up my R1200GSA. Definitely a big bike, but super-balanced. I rode it to Nova Scotia the first summer, and then to Alaska the second. Prior to that my experience had been motocrossers (everything from 80s as a kid to 450s as an adult), dual-sports (250s, 450s), and a couple sport bikes here and there back in the day (e.g., Ninja 600, Interceptor 500). Depending on how far you plan on journeying, I would be concerned about outgrowing a smaller bore too quickly. Big bikes are fine as long as you respect and fully understand them before letting loose. Like anything in life, really. Just one person's two cents for whatever it's worth, but good luck either way you decide to go.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have definitely grown out of the 373cc engine on my Svartpilen especially since having a Monster 1100 prior. Sure bigger displacement is better for the street but a smaller bike will be more fun off-road. And my goal is to do more off-road. I just wish KTM/Husky would give us some sort of update about the 490 ADV/501 Norden. The waiting/silence is frustrating.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was told my Norden arrived and is being bult this week. I live in Golden if you want to meet up and go for a ride when it warms up!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’d like to take you on that offer Motogeek. I stopped by G-Force today and they’re thinking (or at least they told me) February is when they anticipate the Norden to show up for them. The only ADV bike they had on the floor was the KLR-650.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I never owned or ridden an ADV bike. I was resolved I was going to get the Norden 901 but have determined it is too much bike for me in all aspects. Eagerly waiting for the Norden 501 but there has been little to no news about it lately. I understand the the India factory conundrum and the 501 is probably still under development. Any tidbit of news would be encouraging though.

I currently ride a ‘19 Svartpilen 401 modified to be more “Scrambler-esque”. Unfortunately the suspension is stock and almost useless on even mild trails.

Also considering the Tenere 700 and Tuareg 660. The T700 is unobtanium where I’m at and Tuareg 660 is not yet in the US. I would like to wait to compare all three but I’m getting antsy. I’ve decided against the KTM 390 ADV. I want more engine.
I would not recommend buying a Tenere if you think the Norden is too much. I have a friend who has one and its good going down the road and gravel, but gets a real top heavy feel when you really head into the rough stuff (I'm 6'2" and 200 lbs and have been riding for 45 years). I have a 901 on order from Fritz in Gunnison.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just went to Fay Myers in Centennial. They don’t have the Norden yet but they said it’s on the way. In the meantime I had a chance to sit on the 890 Adventure standard. I’m impressed. It’s smaller than I anticipated. The size and height is not intimidating. I am vertically challenged at 5’ 8”. I am almost convinced to move forward with the Norden 901. I left without putting down a deposit.

True story I was actually considering the Benelli TRK-502X. I test rode it and was impressed. I decided against it because 1. 500cc 47hp 2. Heavy 518lbs 3. No real dealer network. 4. Resale value would be poor. It’s Chinese made but the fit and finish is high quality. At $6,399 it’s in my opinion a great value that’s loaded with features.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just went to Fay Myers in Centennial. They don’t have the Norden yet but they said it’s on the way. In the meantime I had a chance to sit on the 890 Adventure standard. I’m impressed. It’s smaller than I anticipated. The size and height is not intimidating. I am vertically challenged at 5’ 8”. I am almost convinced to move forward with the Norden 901. I left without putting down a deposit.

True story I was actually considering the Benelli TRK-502X. I test rode it and was impressed. I decided against it because 1. 500cc 47hp 2. Heavy 518lbs 3. No real dealer network. 4. Resale value would be poor. It’s Chinese made but the fit and finish is high quality. At $6,399 it’s in my opinion a great value that’s loaded with features.
Have you considered a KTM 690? I have several friends who have them and they are surprisingly good at going down the road. Also way lighter which is huge for off road. I also have a DR650 which can be better than you would expect. It’s cheap, reliable, and with some suspension work and a bigger tank is fine for 200 miles a day of mountain passes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts