Husqvarna Norden Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 901 went down for the first time this last weekend. Did about 150 miles off-road around Fredricksburg and Llano, Texas. Went down hard in deep course sand at a river crossing. Approached too quickly and didn't realize how deep the sand was, so I didn't place enough weight to the rear. Couldn't maintain my track. I've got the AXP poly skid plate on. The fall would have badly messed up the stock aluminum plates that 'protect' the gas tank (umm, right) had they been there. As it was, the AXP is significantly scratched, but otherwise did it's job. Had I put the AXP stickers on though, I'd be missing one now on the right side. It would have been fully rubbed off. And just in case you thought your 901 would come to a rest in that 'aluminum plate' area, well, not so much. I have scratches on that yellow green stripe and above that near the subdued 'H'. Even knocked the blinker loose; was hanging by wires. And the right hand guard was knocked out of place and significantly scratched too. I'm not sure crash bars would even have kept it from rolling so far up on its side. That might explain why the 'crash bar' makers have been so slow putting out product. But honestly, I'm glad it's finally happened - won't be babying it anymore. She's a man now!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By the by, I've got 2200 miles on the bike and those stock Pirellis. Maybe 200 of that 2200 off-road. The rest between 70 and 80 mph. I'm 180 lbs. Most of all that travel has been with 100 pds of kit (Wolfmans and a 70L Ortlieb filled with gear) on the rear. I'm already shopping for tires. That's unsat for a FGG (former GS/GSA guy). The Pirellis don't meet the standard both in the wear category and off-raod. Even past sets of K60s performed better off road and they certainly wore better. Even the last set of TKC-80s that I had wore better than this. Sorely disappointed in the tires. Another issue I found while doing heavy off-road was that she doesn't like mid-grade (89 octane). Was forced to fill her with that at a station in BFE Hill Country, Tejas. With the mid-grade I got more severe knocking both when bogging and revving high. Next tank was 91. She smoothed out and quietened down quite a bit. Other issues that dawned on me is that I will be putting DoubleTake mirrors on for the obvious reason that I couldn't see the guy behind me while standing, and even though I'm on 71" this bike needs risers. Only other thought is that headlight is a target. Lots of rocks flying this last weekend. I got lucky. But god bless Husqvarna for ensuring that I can buy headlight protection...next September. If they wanta play in BMW's sandbox, they need to kick parts and aftermarket parts production and availability into gear.

·
Registered
72 Posts
By the by, I've got 2200 miles on the bike and those stock Pirellis. Maybe 200 of that 2200 off-road. The rest between 70 and 80 mph. I'm 180 lbs. Most of all that travel has been with 100 pds of kit (Wolfmans and a 70L Ortlieb filled with gear) on the rear. I'm already shopping for tires. That's unsat for a FGG (former GS/GSA guy). The Pirellis don't meet the standard both in the wear category and off-raod. Even past sets of K60s performed better off road and they certainly wore better. Even the last set of TKC-80s that I had wore better than this. Sorely disappointed in the tires. Another issue I found while doing heavy off-road was that she doesn't like mid-grade (89 octane). Was forced to fill her with that at a station in BFE Hill Country, Tejas. With the mid-grade I got more severe knocking both when bogging and revving high. Next tank was 91. She smoothed out and quietened down quite a bit. Other issues that dawned on me is that I will be putting DoubleTake mirrors on for the obvious reason that I couldn't see the guy behind me while standing, and even though I'm on 71" this bike needs risers. Only other thought is that headlight is a target. Lots of rocks flying this last weekend. I got lucky. But god bless Husqvarna for ensuring that I can buy headlight protection...next September. If they wanta play in BMW's sandbox, they need to kick parts and aftermarket parts production and availability into gear.
Seems it was more of a 'soft' product launch for the 901. OEM accessories slow to arrive. Quality issues with the bikes before production was curtailed and bikes promised to dealers with deposits cancelled.
I'll consider the 2023 model 901 but in the interim the 890R is being updated and the Tiger 900 Rallye is looking good. Or I'll ride my 17-Africa Twin for another year.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 901 went down for the first time this last weekend. Did about 150 miles off-road around Fredricksburg and Llano, Texas. Went down hard in deep course sand at a river crossing. Approached too quickly and didn't realize how deep the sand was, so I didn't place enough weight to the rear. Couldn't maintain my track. I've got the AXP poly skid plate on. The fall would have badly messed up the stock aluminum plates that 'protect' the gas tank (umm, right) had they been there. As it was, the AXP is significantly scratched, but otherwise did it's job. Had I put the AXP stickers on though, I'd be missing one now on the right side. It would have been fully rubbed off. And just in case you thought your 901 would come to a rest in that 'aluminum plate' area, well, not so much. I have scratches on that yellow green stripe and above that near the subdued 'H'. Even knocked the blinker loose; was hanging by wires. And the right hand guard was knocked out of place and significantly scratched too. I'm not sure crash bars would even have kept it from rolling so far up on its side. That might explain why the 'crash bar' makers have been so slow putting out product. But honestly, I'm glad it's finally happened - won't be babying it anymore. She's a man now!
Where you located I'm in Austin, looking to take the norden out to some trails.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where you located I'm in Austin, looking to take the norden out to some trails.
Tyler. But was just in your neck of the …Hill Country. Did most of the dirt roads all around Llano and F-burg. Going back in May for the Hill Country Challenge in May. But I’ve got some protecting to be done prior to that. After a spill, I’ve learned this ain’t no BMW! It laid all the way down. So in addition to the AXP skid plate, ordered the HEPCO AND BECKER tank guards and handle bar pro. Mine took a blow on the right side, but I saw a pic on FB where a Norden lost lots of plastic from a blow to the tank. If you find yourself in East Texas, holler. We’ve some great logging roads. Lots of sand to master. But frankly, your roads out yonder way are far better. Get you Butlers map of the Hill Country if you don’t already have. It’ll show you all the dirt roads.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi guys, first post on this forum
I picked up my Norden a week ago and have just put it in for its 1,000km service.
What an amazing bike - my first 'real bike' only having owned dirt bikes and a KTM 690 before.

My concern is protection or the lack of it.
The ideal combo seems like an AXP skid plate (I have one on my 690 and its great) with some crash bars to protect the fairings.
AXP say on their website that you cannot fit crashbars over the skid plate becuase f the thickness of the plastic.

Jack, I was interested in your comment that you are going with an AXP and some Hepco and Becker crash bars. Do you know if the crash bars will fir over the AXP?
Thanks heaps

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bill, I’ll let you know as soon as I do. I took a chance. I took that $480 chance based on my ‘spill’ weekend before last, and a picture I saw on the Norden FB of destroyed tank area plastic. If I can’t make the crashbars fit with the AXP in place, there will be an AXP skid plate coming up for sale. Since I will never again be riding single track or less, I can now see that the most vulnerable areas of this bike is the tank area plastic and handlebars. So I’ve ordered the H&B crash bars and handlebar guard. They’re backordered. My other discovery, having spent 150 miles on the dirt and 2000 on tarmac is that the handlebars do not fit a 5’11” 180 pound male of average arm and torso length…albeit a 61 yr old version. So I put on 2” risers. Had to re-route cables though. It was either disassemble the triple tree or disassemble the left hand light/blinker/cruise switch so that it could be ‘snaked’ through and repositioned. Chose the latter. Wasn’t tough at all. Also had to undo the clutch cable and clutch safety switch wire to re-route those. The right side did not have to be altered. I’ll attach pics.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bill, I’ll let you know as soon as I do. I took a chance. I took that $480 chance based on my ‘spill’ weekend before last, and a picture I saw on the Norden FB of destroyed tank area plastic. If I can’t make the crashbars fit with the AXP in place, there will be an AXP skid plate coming up for sale. Since I will never again be riding single track or less, I can now see that the most vulnerable areas of this bike is the tank area plastic and handlebars. So I’ve ordered the H&B crash bars and handlebar guard. They’re backordered. My other discovery, having spent 150 miles on the dirt and 2000 on tarmac is that the handlebars do not fit a 5’11” 180 pound male of average arm and torso length…albeit a 61 yr old version. So I put on 2” risers. Had to re-route cables though. It was either disassemble the triple tree or disassemble the left hand light/blinker/cruise switch so that it could be ‘snaked’ through and repositioned. Chose the latter. Wasn’t tough at all. Also had to undo the clutch cable and clutch safety switch wire to re-route those. The right side did not have to be altered. I’ll attach pics.
Thanks Jack.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Crash bars saved me from ruining my skid plates. Handlebar, crash bars and seat handles took the brunt. But sounds like you crashed pretty hard. No system is gonna completely keep you from popping the cherry on your new bike.
View attachment 485

·
Registered
15 Posts
"Another issue I found while doing heavy off-road was that she doesn't like mid-grade (89 octane)."

Owners manual, page 162 basically states, "Only use super unleaded that matches or is equivalent to the ROZ 95". 95 RON is roughly equivalent to 91-octane on the anti-knock index currently used in the United States.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
"Another issue I found while doing heavy off-road was that she doesn't like mid-grade (89 octane)."

Owners manual, page 162 basically states, "Only use super unleaded that matches or is equivalent to the ROZ 95". 95 RON is roughly equivalent to 91-octane on the anti-knock index currently used in the United States.
Yes, I know. I also read the owners manual. But if you ride away from civilization, ‘super’ is not always available as was the case for me. Verifying what was stated in the owners manual was the point I was making, and that that is a weakness of the bike.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts