Husqvarna Norden Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man...these false neutrals are pissing me off. It was really bad today on a hard-packed road with some whoops. It's embarrassing to say the least...brand new bike and it has issues that has persisted since the KTM 790 Adventure (2019?).

I think this is the solution: Factory Pro - KTM 790/890/901 Pro Shift Kit (Ceramic Bearings)

But who wants to void their warranty to fix an issue that Husky should have fixed from the jump!? :mad: I may call the dealer tomorrow to see what they will do about it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Man...these false neutrals are pissing me off. It was really bad today on a hard-packed road with some whoops. It's embarrassing to say the least...brand new bike and it has issues that has persisted since the KTM 790 Adventure (2019?).

I think this is the solution: Factory Pro - KTM 790/890/901 Pro Shift Kit (Ceramic Bearings)

But who wants to void their warranty to fix an issue that Husky should have fixed from the jump!? I may call the dealer tomorrow to see what they will do about it.:mad:
I'm curious what the dealer says :)

·
Registered
Norden 901 2022
30 Posts
Hey people, I also have false neutrals especially from 1st to 2nd when I go up in a offroad
I also have to say that from the 4000km until now, 6000km has improved a lot, but still it
Sometimes in a trail road I change from 1st to 2nd without clutch and i'ts surprising effective

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The dealer contacted Husky and they recommended calibration of the "easy shift". I also mentioned that I deactivated the "easy shift" and was still getting the false neutrals, so they requested the dealer also try to replicate the issue and if they confirm it, then they may need to remove the clutch basket to access the shift mechanism and ensure nothing major is happening.

Myself...I think it's the weak spring that KTM initially had in the 790/890's and never corrected. I know KTM's moto is "Ready to Race", but they need to stop treating their bikes like race machines and understand they are selling to consumers. If something is built to race, you're expected to tear it down and rebuild it after two or three races. They shouldn't be selling or expecting their production bikes to operate or work like that. I have an appointment on 10 August...I'll post the verdict afterwards.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So....riding into work this morning and approaching an intersection, I down shift from 6th to 5th...let out the clutch and nothing. No engagement at all...it's like the bike is in neutral, but the indicator still shows that the bike is in 6th gear. I hear the transmission gears trying to engage (grinding) so I pull in the clutch and upshift back to 6th...it engages and seems to be good to go after that. IMHO...the transmission is straight trash in this bike (not sure if I got the only lemon or if it's across the board and all Norden's).

I will be dropping the bike off this weekend for my 10 August appointment. Let's see how long they have my bike and if they fix it. I'm not going to hold my breath.

·
Registered
67 Posts
So....riding into work this morning and approaching an intersection, I down shift from 6th to 5th...let out the clutch and nothing. No engagement at all...it's like the bike is in neutral, but the indicator still shows that the bike is in 6th gear. I hear the transmission gears trying to engage (grinding) so I pull in the clutch and upshift back to 6th...it engages and seems to be good to go after that. IMHO...the transmission is straight trash in this bike (not sure if I got the only lemon or if it's across the board and all Norden's).

I will be dropping the bike off this weekend for my 10 August appointment. Let's see how long they have my bike and if they fix it. I'm not going to hold my breath.
I think you may have a lemon... I have gotten the 5th/6th, 4th/5th and 1st/2nd gear false neutrals before but that was mostly my fault. Usually when I've left my foot on the shifter after shifting and it found neutral between the gears, lol. Mine works 99% of the time but 1% of the time its terrifying. I started to use the clutch to downshift and use the clutch when I'm not trying to go fast, but it's pretty bad when it unexpectedly gets stuck between gears... I would be curious if the ceramic bearings help, but I think it's mostly in the electronics / software that could fix things, but what do I know...

I'll be interested in what they say after your dealer visit.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll definitely keep everyone posted. I've been riding for 40 years now and have never had a bike with these kinds of transmission/shift issues. Having said that, this is my first new purchase. All of my previous bikes have been used...and also Japanese bikes.

Tire Wheel Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Automotive fuel system Vehicle Fuel tank

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't get false neutrals often on my bike unless I'm standing on the pegs, which kinda says its my fault When it does its only gears 1-2. Although when I downshift to engine break to 1st gear, it bumps back to neutral like 80% of the time. Just learned to deal with it, just hit 11k miles.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had errands to run yesterday in town so before I left, I turned off the "easy shift" feature. Rode for two hours and roughly 100 miles around town...not a single false neutral. I dropped off my bike to the dealer this morning and requested they calibrate the easy shift (quick shifter). We'll see what happens.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts