Husqvarna Norden Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the "Explorer Pack" I've read through the manual a few times trying to figure out the differences between the Slip Adjuster and MTC+MSR and I'm not quite sure I follow 100%.
Are they the same thing but the Slip adjuster has different levels while MTC (Motorcycle traction control) can only be on or off? or are they completely separate?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got the "Explorer Pack" I've read through the manual a few times trying to figure out the differences between the Slip Adjuster and MTC+MSR and I'm not quite sure I follow 100%.
Are they the same thing but the Slip adjuster has different levels while MTC (Motorcycle traction control) can only be on or off? or are they completely separate?
Yes, I too was curious about these features. Could you tell me what you were charged for the Explore Pack?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I too was curious about these features. Could you tell me what you were charged for the Explore Pack?
$199 usd including install at L & D race tech in Astoria, Oregon. The other dealer that is closer but who I refuse to deal with tried to charge my buddy $180 + $150 parts and labor and said they didn't have the ability yet.

As far as I can tell, the Explore Pack only get's you 3 things;
1) An additional screen, mostly same info, just different layout.
2) Ability to set throttle response to Street, Offroad or Rally. (only when using Explore mode)
3) Ability to fine tune the rear traction control.
Maybe it's more than that, but that's all I can tell at this point... I wish I had spent that $$ elsewhere and bought the Explore Pack down the road when I'm more comfortable with all the other modes. It does rev up incredibly fast on Rally throttle, but I'm not sure when I would use that, I'm either in town or out in the woods on gravel.

·
Registered
KTM640 Adventure. Norden 901. RE Bullet 1963
53 Posts
I’ve played around with Explorer mode, you can adjust throttle settings as mentioned above, Rally is very responsive with small movement. I.e. sensitive to input, Offroad is a little more forgiving ( I found it fine when offroad), Street is standard setting but as the Husqvarna distributor told me, he runs street mode in the rough stuff as it allowed a more subtle approach and better control.
Slip mode can be adjusted on the fly and so setting 9 is maximum traction control, as you move this setting towards 1 (no traction intervention as I understand it), so you can give ring the throttle and get the rear whee to ho nuts and spray mud and stones but to allow you to slide through a corner with the gas on, if you have traction control on 9 the bike intervenes and limits wheel spin.
ABS is disabled in Explorer rear wheel I believe.
I found the setting on 5 was just enough intervention in the slippy stuff, but for really slippy conditions the setting on 9 will aid you the most.
These are just my experiences. Check out these guys, Part 1 of 2 reviews by seasoned adventure riders here in Australia, they give the Norden a good review and mostly positive too.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ve played around with Explorer mode, you can adjust throttle settings as mentioned above, Rally is very responsive with small movement. I.e. sensitive to input, Offroad is a little more forgiving ( I found it fine when offroad), Street is standard setting but as the Husqvarna distributor told me, he runs street mode in the rough stuff as it allowed a more subtle approach and better control.
Slip mode can be adjusted on the fly and so setting 9 is maximum traction control, as you move this setting towards 1 (no traction intervention as I understand it), so you can give ring the throttle and get the rear whee to ho nuts and spray mud and stones but to allow you to slide through a corner with the gas on, if you have traction control on 9 the bike intervenes and limits wheel spin.
ABS is disabled in Explorer rear wheel I believe.
I found the setting on 5 was just enough intervention in the slippy stuff, but for really slippy conditions the setting on 9 will aid you the most.
These are just my experiences. Check out these guys, Part 1 of 2 reviews by seasoned adventure riders here in Australia, they give the Norden a good review and mostly positive too.

Thanks! I'll probably play with it more after I get past the brake in. I'm just taking it easy for now.

It would have been more worth it for me if the Explorer pack came with more options, maybe a permanent ABS setting that will change when you go to explore ride mode, and automatically go back on when you go back to street. (Vs having to turn on/off manually) Or a few extra HP that it unlocks. Or even the option to not lose your up/down quick select buttons when in explorer mode.

·
Registered
KTM640 Adventure. Norden 901. RE Bullet 1963
53 Posts
Talking with the Husky representative he said he rides in off-road setting most of the time even on the road as it allows wheelies😜 but I found when in explorer it does change the engine mapping, well it felt different for sure, plus when you are up and down technical terrain I guess it’s just slip adjustment that you’ll need and this can be done on the fly, but I hear you, having to change the rear ABS on/off can be a pain, I kept it off during short stints between gravel, then when I knew I would be on the main road again, a quick stop and or slow down can be done on the go

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Talking with the Husky representative he said he rides in off-road setting most of the time even on the road as it allows wheelies😜 but I found when in explorer it does change the engine mapping, well it felt different for sure, plus when you are up and down technical terrain I guess it’s just slip adjustment that you’ll need and this can be done on the fly, but I hear you, having to change the rear ABS on/off can be a pain, I kept it off during short stints between gravel, then when I knew I would be on the main road again, a quick stop and or slow down can be done on the go
I only use the ride modes and ABS for the quick select (up/down) buttons for now, but was hoping to use things like heated grips and bluetooth once it comes out and not waste those on rear traction control. Just wish it was an option to select on or off.

I'm sure I'll get more comfortable with the bike over time and hopefully the Explorer pack proves to be a value. So far I love the bike, so no major complaints yet...

·
Registered
2022 Norden 901, 2020 Beta 350RS, 2016 BMW S1000XR, 2014 MV Agusta Rivale (retired)
32 Posts
Talking with the Husky representative he said he rides in off-road setting most of the time even on the road as it allows wheelies😜
My experience is that wheelies don't work in off-road unless you disable MTC completely. I was hoping Explorer mode would allow you to separately manage wheelie control, but doesn't seem to be the case. My dealer wants $350 to turn on Explorer - seems like a lot for ability to dial in rear-wheel slip so I'll skip it for now.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well it's been about 3500mi now and I'm much more comfortable with the bike and settings. I've learned that I can easily wheelie in street mode with all the nanny settings on when punching hard out of a corner. Not to full balance point but higher than I would think "wheelie control" should allow. I can't stand the throttle setting in Offroad mode, its way too slow for me. I now ride on pavement, dirt, gravel, mud and everything in between exclusively on explorer mode, rally throttle and no favorites. That being said, if it's wet out, I'll ride in rain mode. I get the T/C to flash and kick in if I'm on MTC level 3 and up when trying to wheelie in explorer mode on dry pavement.

I now love riding gravel / dirt with explorer mode on and being able to steer with the ass of the bike around corners on tight fire service roads, it's terrifying and fun at the same time. Everyone behind me stays way back, lol

·
Registered
28 Posts
How much different is explorer mode rally throttle vs. regular Street throttle?
Throttle setting for Rally mode is just a little bit more direct and instant than Street mode.

On my bike it is still smooth and not abrupt and doesnt have any harsh or abrupt on/off throttle like the KTM 890 can have.

Ive ridden in Rally on the road and had it begin to rain quite hard and I didnt even feel the need to swap modes. It was still smooth enough. All I did was move up traction control to about 7.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It can be a lot if you're not expecting it but you can get used to it quickly. I'm so used to it now that my buddies bike feels like it's a 400cc when I ride it at first. It's just the first 30% after that it is about the same. I would assimilate it to a pedal commander.

I think it's worth it, but also should have come with it included from the factory. Of your going to charge me more $$, then at least make it a lot more customizable. Like custom power bands, ABS auto off, more customizable screen options, slip adjust quick button override (in case you don't want to lose your buttons to quick shift)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts