Husqvarna Norden Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone able to bump start their bike? I turned my engine off and coasted down a hillside for about 5 minutes today and going about 30mph and in 3rd with the kill switch off, I couldn't get it to start.

I may be buying a new zero gravity battery with the re-start button if we can't bump start these bikes... Any ideas?

·
Registered
2022 Husqvarna Norden 901
20 Posts
I think the main problem you'll run into with bump starting is that modern engines are all fuel injected. Meaning the computer and such all need to have power, and the fuel pump needs to be able to run to get the fuel pressure up. Without those things, it's not going to start. I don't think bump starting it will cut it for getting everything powered on.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think the main problem you'll run into with bump starting is that modern engines are all fuel injected. Meaning the computer and such all need to have power, and the fuel pump needs to be able to run to get the fuel pressure up. Without those things, it's not going to start. I don't think bump starting it will cut it for getting everything powered on.
Really good point, I'm so used to carbs on bikes that I easily forget that point. It won't start even with a full battery, key on, switch on, all MTC off, fuel pump primed and pressured up and going fast in a higher gear... It probably wont start with me pushing and a dead battery.

A new Lithium Ion battery with a re-start button is in my future, Has anyone switched over to Lithium Ion or Lithium Iron yet?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Really good point, I'm so used to carbs on bikes that I easily forget that point. It won't start even with a full battery, key on, switch on, all MTC off, fuel pump primed and pressured up and going fast in a higher gear... It probably wont start with me pushing and a dead battery.

A new Lithium Ion battery with a re-start button is in my future, Has anyone switched over to Lithium Ion or Lithium Iron yet?
Both my other bikes have them. I don't remember the brand, but I know they have an internal charging circuit. You can't just plop a straight Lithium battery in since they require different inputs and can be damaged if the charging system on the bike isn't right for it. If you get a battery with a charging circuit built in, it'll work fine (I mean, one of my bikes is an '83 KZ750, it's got a Lithium battery in it, I can check tomorrow the type)

You'll also want to put them on a battery tender if you leave it sit for a while, and you need to get a tender that supports a LiPO battery.

They are WAY lighter than lead-acid.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have used these in 3 bikes, they have built in BMS, can use a standard charger, way lighter than stock, you can pay more and have a button on top that will give you 1-2 more starts once dead. They have two styles; same case size but way lighter and way more amp hours /cca, or same amp hours / cca as stock but way lighter and smaller than stock.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Those are much nicer than the ones I have in my other bikes! I'll have to look into one of those for the Norden and maybe my snowmobile (I usually carry jumpers with me, since it doesn't have a pull start).

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have used these in 3 bikes, they have built in BMS, can use a standard charger, way lighter than stock, you can pay more and have a button on top that will give you 1-2 more starts once dead. They have two styles; same case size but way lighter and way more amp hours /cca, or same amp hours / cca as stock but way lighter and smaller than stock.

Hi,
which battery could I take from "antigravitybatteries.com"? Unfortunately I can't find a Husqvarna Norden 901 or a KTM Adventure 790/890 in the list category.

Many greetings

·
Registered
KTM640 Adventure. Norden 901. RE Bullet 1963
47 Posts
Why not carry a small jump starter that can double as a second power supply, or for a tyre pump.
I have one from Rocky Creek designs and have jump started a car 3-4 times plus pumped a tyre with one, they are small & compact

1 - 12 of 12 Posts